Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why This Blog?

     Why did I start writing this blog?  Children should be able to read simple books by the end of Kindergarten.  Making sure that children can read on grade level by the end of second grade is critical for their future development.  Everything depends on it, self-confidence, future careers, and being able to succeed in school.  It is such a small thing, but necessary for future success. 
     So I started to think, what could I as a Kindergarten teacher tell young mothers that could very possibly change the future of their children?  I think about young children a lot.  I am the grandmother of 16 small children from 0-15 years old.  I just want to help in some small way.
     I watch my daughters-in-law with their children and they are so amazing.  You young mothers are amazing.  There is so much you can do!
    When I was a young mother I did not realize how much I could help my own children.  I though I should let their Kindergarten teachers teach them about letters and reading.  I should have known better. I had graduated from college in Elementary Education.  I even taught second grade for two years before my first son was born.  If I did not realize how much I could help my children, then I can assume that others have the same questions as myself.  What can I do?  How much is too much?  How much is not enough?  What if I teach them wrong?
     I hope this blog can answer those questions.
     It is really simple.  Read and talk to your children each day.  Help them develop vocabulary by reading and discussing simple things with them.  Help them understand rhyming and letter sounds.  When they get a little older make sure there are ABC puzzles, magnetic letters, and ABC books around.  Help them to realize that letters make up words and words make up stories.  When they get a little older give them paper and pencils.   Let them write, scribble, draw. 
     Let them see you reading and writing.  Read and write around them, with them, for them.  Let them see that your home is rich in literacy.
     You do not have to spend a lot of money on books.  Go to thrift stores, yard sales, and second hand shops. 
     Most of all make it fun and exciting.  Don't be stressed, just love them.  Make reading fun.  Make it a game.  Children will learn.  They want to learn.  Just help them everyway that you can! 
      

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha i love the pictures of the dogs!!!!!

    love Drew

    ReplyDelete

Why This Blog?

     Why did I start writing this blog?  Children should be able to read simple books by the end of Kindergarten.  Making sure that child...